Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Review: The Social Network

If you're bothered by fast-talking people, this is not the movie for you. The entire opening scene is Jesse Eisenberg and Rooney Mara talking to eachother a mile a minute. Being a Gilmore Girls fan, I'm used to it so it wasn't really a problem. I went to this movie not really knowing what to expect. I thought it was interesting that David Fincher, who directed the uber creepy Seven, was directing a movie about Facebook. The Social Network is actually really good. The plot is pretty simple, its about a guy who's getting sued by different people over Facebook, but there was not a single part of this movie that I found boring. It was just a great combination of an awesome director, a great script, and a really great cast. Jesse Eisenberg was perfect as Mark Zuckerberg, the inventor of Facebook. I can't really picture anyone else in this role, it is exactly the kind of role that he is great at. Justin Timberlake was suprisingly good as Sean Parker, who turns out to be a sort of antagonist in this movie. I thought it was funny that they had someone who is more well known as a musician play the inventor of Napster. Future Spider-Man Andrew Garfield was also great as Eduardo, Mark's best friend and Facebook co-founder. At first I thought he was too good-looking to play geeky Peter Parker, and while I still think that's true, after watching this movie, I think he'll make a good Spider-Man. One thing I was really disappointed about was that Rooney Mara's role was really small. Not because I'm a fan of hers or anything, (I've only seen her in one other movie), but because I wanted use this movie to judge whether or not she'd make a good Lisbeth Salander or not. Based on her small role, though, I think she'll do alright. I guess I'll have to wait till 2011 or 2012, or whenever Girl With The Dragon Tattoo comes out to really find out.
So, anyways, back to the movie. I liked it because it was different than other dramas. They didn't feel the need to add any romance elements to try to appeal to a female audience, they didn't have any overdramatic crying scenes, they just let the story be its own drama, though I don't know if its entirely factual or not. (I'm guessing not).  I've read that this movie is getting some Oscar buzz, and I definitely think that it deserves it.
My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment