Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Review: The Rite

If you have never seen any movies about exorcism, then this movie might scare you. If you are like me and have seen several movies about exorcism, then this movie will seem relatively tame in comparison. Anthony Hopkins is great as always as an exorcist who is teaching this younger priest how to perform exorcisms. The young priest is not really sure what he believes in, but starts getting spooked by this young pregnant girl who is believed to be possessed by the devil. So, some demonic voices and contortions ensue, and everything that comes with being possessed I guess. I wasn't really all that impressed by the exoricism scenes. I mean when you've seen things like this....



and this...



and this...



a little back bending and roaring from a girl isn't really all that scary. I mean, the only thing that made it different was that she was pregnant, which did bring an uneasy feel to her scenes. Interestingly, there was a bit of comic relief in this movie, which I thought was strange during a horror movie like this. During the first exorcism, Anthony Hopkin's cell phone rings. When you're in the middle of an exorcism scene I don't know why you would want to break away from the horror element of it. Anyways, even though there is a great performance by Anthony Hopkins, this movie has been done before, and done better. My rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment