Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Just Finished Reading: Jane Eyre


I loved this book. I've never really been much of a fan of Victorian era novels, but I really loved Jane Eyre. It's sort of a mix of a romance and a drama, with some gothic elements as well. I read this entire 350 page book in the span of a day, which to me is a very short amount of time. It usually takes me a week, and sometimes much longer to finish a book. I've been reading Geek Love for what feels like forever now, and I'm not even half-way done with it. This book, on the other hand, I could not put down. What made it so interesting was probably the fact that there were different parts to it. There was Jane living with her aunt, Jane at school, Jane becoming a governess and falling for Mr. Rochester, Jane discovering she has family, and Jane back with Rochester. The love story, while it has a happy ending, is also really tragic. While reading it I just knew something was going to happen to fuck up Jane and Rochester's wedding, and as it turned out I was right. I never would have imagined that it was because he was already married, though, and to a lunatic, no less! Fortunately, Jane gets to marry her love, but only after horrible things had occurred. He is newly single because his wife committed suicide, and on that same night he lost both his vision and one of his hands. Jane doesn't care about this though, because she loves him so much, so in the end they get married and live happily ever after.
What led me to read this book was that I've always wanted to read something by one of the Bronte sisters, and also because I wanted to read it before the movie comes out in March. When I saw the trailer I thought that it looked really interesting, and darker than most period movies. I've read that they're playing up the supernatural elements of the novel, which I think should be really cool. Anyways, after reading the novel I am really excited about seeing the movie. With Mia Wasikowska as Jane Eyre and Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester it should be really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment