Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Review: No Strings Attached

Let me start out by saying that this movie has the obvious happy ending. There are tons and tons of movies like this where the girl isn't looking for anything serious, but the guy falls in love with her, the girl gets annoyed and breaks it off and then realizes that she loves him too. That shouldn't be a spoiler for the movie because its is extremely cliche, and if I ruined the ending for anyone then they should really see more movies because they are all basically the same. I mean jeez, its been this way since Pride and Prejudice. Oh I do love Mr. Darcy! What makes a good romantic comedy is how it gets to the end point. While this movie wasn't anything spectacular, and I didn't really expect it to be, I actually ended up liking it. Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher play two people named Emma and Adam who keep on bumping into each other every few years and end up sleeping together after he wakes up naked in her apartment. Emma isn't looking for anything serious (of course) so they become "fuck buddies." I'm not gonna lie, the first sex scene was pretty hot. Its nothing graphic and is just a closeup of their faces, but I was like DAMN! That is really the only actual sex scene, with the rest of the sex being in montage form. This movie was also pretty funny. Adam makes her a period mix tape (when they were singing Bleeding Love I was cracking up), and Emma's friend Patrice has the funniest line in the whole movie, "It looks like a crime scene in my pants." It also has some great supporting characters, like Greta Gerwig as Patrice, Kevin Kline as Adam's dad, and Mindy Kaling as Emma's friend Shira. Most romantic comedy endings are extremely cheesy, and while this movie isn't really an exception, I did have a bit of an aaaaawwwwww moment towards the end. When Adam says "If you come any closer, I won't let you go" and she steps forward and they kiss, it was so sweet! I'm not really a hopeless romantic, but if you are you'll probably cry. The only romance movie that I actually cried during was An Affair To Remember, but come on when Deborah Kerr opens the box at the end and its Cary Grant's grandmothers shawl, who wouldn't cry? And when he opens the door to her bedroom and his painting is in there....oh I was a mess. Anyways, No Strings Attached was a pretty cute movie. I'm curious about how it will compare to the movie Friends With Benefits thats coming out in a few months. Its basically the exact same plot except that it has a different pair of good-looking people, Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake. I guess I'll have to wait and see. My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment