Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Review: The Three Musketeers

I went to see this movie on a whim. I have never read the book or have seen any other film adaptations of the story, and I never watched the trailer, so I had no idea what this movie was about. I just saw that it had a really cool cast, and I had to go downtown to go to Target anyway, so I decided to see a movie as well. I actually ended up liking it. I thought that it was a really fun movie that is good for people of all ages. There were a few kids in the movie theater and they all seemed to be having a good time. I have no idea if this movie is a faithful adaptation of the book or just an interpretation, but the story is about a young man named D'Artagnan who wants to become a musketeer, so he travels to Paris where he meets three men who were once the great Three Musketeers who fought for France. Athos (played by Matthew Macfadyen, who has the greatest speaking voice...) is now a drunk, Aramis works for the city giving out citations, and Porthos has a sugar mama to pay for his fancy clothes. D'Artagnan ends up joining up with the three of them to get back the queen's necklace after it has been stolen by Athos's old flame Milady, who along with the Cardinal, plans to start a war by making the king think that the queen is having an affair with Orlando Bloom. There is a lot more to the story, but that is it in a nutshell. Like I said before, I love the cast for this movie. I love that Orlando Bloom is playing a bad guy, and this movie also features actors I really like including Christoph Waltz, Juno Temple, and Mads Mikkelsen. I don't know what it is about Mads Mikkelsen, but for some reason I find him incredibly sexy. I swear if you ever see a smile from him in a movie that is bigger than his little smirk, the earth would implode. He is always super serious! I thought that Milla Jovovich looked stunning in all of her costumes, and I don't know the actor was who played the king, but I thought he did a great job in that role. They king is kind of a rediculous character, but it adds great comic effect to the film. This movie definitely wasn't perfect, but I liked it enough to go see a sequel. From that ending, it appears that another movie is going to be made...My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment