Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Horror-A-Day: Day Four

I really liked the original Cat People and I thought that it was interesting how this movie was described as an "erotic horror" film, so I thought that this movie would be pretty cool. I was wrong. Although I like Malcolm McDowell and think that Nastassja Kinski is very pretty, this movie was boring as hell. There are very few actual horror elements in this film, and throughout the first half I was literally trying to keep myself awake. It isn't really fair to compare this film with the original because the story is completely different. The only thing this film has in common with the film from the 40s is some of the character's names and the pool scene. The original was about a woman who was afraid to be intimate with her husband because she thought that she would turn into a cat and kill him. This film is about a woman who's brother wants to have sex with her because cat people can only have sex with other cat people. Then, she falls for a guy who works at a zoo. In this movie, cat people turn into panthers when they have sex, and can only turn back into humans when they kill somebody. At the end of the movie she decides that she either needs to die or stay a panther, which I don't really understand. If she just doesn't have sex anymore, then she is really not any danger to anyone, right? Instead, she decides that she would rather spend the rest of her life in a cage. There was only one part of this movie that I thought was kind of cool. After McDowell's character turns to a panther and gets shot, the zoo guy gives him an autopsy and when he cuts the panther open a hand falls out. That was pretty neat...

No comments:

Post a Comment