Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oldboy Remake

I love the movie Oldboy. I actually wrote a paper on the tongue cutting scene for one of my film classes and it is one of my all-time favorite foreign film. So, I should be completely annoyed by an American remake right? Well, interestingly enough...wrong! I am actually really looking forward to this movie. For starters, I love the casting of Josh Brolin as the lead.

I think that he will be great as a man seeking revenge on the man who kept him captive for fifteen years. The casting decision that I am really excited for, however, is Mia Wasikowska!
I was looking at the IMDb page for this movie earlier and when I saw Mia Wasikowska (rumored) I got so excited! With both Brolin and Wasikowska you just know that this movie will be good. She is only rumored for a role so far, but who would be better as a young girl who becomes somewhat of a love interest for him...that is until he finds out that she is (SPOILER ALERT) his daughter and that they have been tricked into being together by the man who held him captive.

This movie will be great as long as they don't change the story. I know that Hollywood likes to change brilliant stories to make them more "acceptable" for mainstream audiences. The worst that I have seen is the American remake of The Vanishing. In the original, the film ends with the main character waking up in a coffin after he has been buried alive. In the remake, he gets out of the coffin and kills the bad guy. I couldn't believe it! I love the original The Vanishing, so I literally felt betrayed when I was watching the remake on TV one day. That is something that I really hope doesn't happen with Oldboy. Since the film is being directed by Spike Lee, who is an independent filmmaker, I don't think that the story will change too much. Or at least I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment