Sunday, February 26, 2012

Best Picture Nominee #6: The Help

I have kind of mixed feelings about this movie. I mean, it was a pretty good movie. It had great performances by the whole cast and had quite a few moments that made me cry, but it is just another movie in the long line of white people helping black people movies. I know that the Oscars loves these movies, because that is the only reason that I can see for why Sandra Bullock won an Oscar for The Blind Side. Also, Skeeter didn't really end up helping Viola Davis's character. Even though her book got published and people could see how horrible these maids were being treated, everyones lives were the same, except for Davis's character who ended the movie without her job. Like I said before though, this film had great performances by Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, and Jessica Chastain. I also have to give major kudos to Bryce Dallas Howard in this movie. It can't be easy to play a character as despicable as her. Everytime she opened her mouth you just want to slap her in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment