Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Review: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

What a brilliant cast! This movie is filled with some of my favorite British actors, including the always amazing Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy and John Hurt with his great speaking voice. Anyways, this is a movie that I am going to have to watch again. I think that I have a pretty good idea what was going on, but it was a little hard to follow at times. To put it simply, this movie is about Gary Oldman's character George Smiley (great name!) trying to figure out the mole in "the circus", which is another name for British Intelligence. There are just so many subplots in the movie that you have to keep straight, like Tom Hardy's character who got information from this Russian girl who he fell in love with, and Mark Strong's character getting shot in the beginning. For the majority of the movie I thought that he was dead and the stuff at the school and with the kid in the glasses was a flashback, but I guess it wasn't. Like I said, I kind of got what was going on in the movie, but if I had to explain it to someone I don't think that I could. I'm definitely going to have to give it another go. Anyways, I thought that Gary Oldman's performance was amazing. It was a very subtle performance, but was just brilliant. I can not believe that this is his first Oscar nominated role!! He is has several brilliant performances (some far better than this even!) but this is the first time that he is being recognized by the Academy. My rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment