Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Review: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This movie here is a good example of why you shouldn't go against nature. You see it in Frankenstein, in The Island of Dr. Moreau, in Jurassic Park, and tons of other films/ books. I thought that this movie was a great prequel, and a good movie all by itself too. It's pretty similar to the Terminator series in that man takes scientific ambition a bit too far. Except instead of the machines getting smart, it is the apes getting smart. While trying to find a cure for Alzheimers, James Franco's  character ends up making his pet monkey Caesar very smart. He can do sign language and his IQ gets higher and higher each year. While he is getting human intelligence, he also gets human emotions, which gets him into trouble. He attacks a neighbor who is yelling at John Lithgow's character and ends up locked up with a bunch of other apes. When he drew the picture of the window on the wall I actually started crying. Poor Caesar. I really wanted to kick Tom Felton's ass while I was watching this movie. He plays such a little shit. Anyways, so Caesar keeps getting smarter, and then he finds his way out of his cage and comes back with some of the chemical that makes him smart and gives it to all the other apes. So, the apes revolt and start attacking everybody.
This is just a really good science fiction film. I really enjoyed watching it and I think that it is really interesting and also has a lot of heart. James Franco is great as always, but I really didn't think that Freida Pinto's role was all that important. She is basically just there looking pretty, but she does that very well. I just love that it is Andy Serkis playing Caesar. They must have used some of his voice too, because I swear I heard a Gollum-esque scream coming from the ape.
I have seen the original Planet of the Apes (and loved it) so I knew that the apes eventually learn to speak, but when Caesar yelled out "NOOOO!" my mouth just dropped open. I also thought that the "Caesar is home" and showing the infected man go on the plane was a very cool way to end the movie. My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment