Friday, September 2, 2011

My Review: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

A part of me wonders if this would have been better if Guillermo Del Toro directed this movie as well as writing and producing it. I was super excited to see this movie. The trailer scared the shit out of me when I saw it, so I thought that this movie was going to be terrifying! It really wasn't though, and I know exactly why! CGI CREATURES ARE NOT SCARY!!!! I understand the need to use CGI in this movie because the creatures are all tiny and fast. The problem is that they show them waaaayyy too much. When it is absolutely necessary to make your monsters CGI, you just have to keep them in the shadows! I mean, when you see little animated creatures walking around it just looks rediculous. The only part that made me scream was the exact part that I screamed at in the trailer, when she is under the sheets and one pops out. I also think that there were too many voices. There were tons of those things talking at the same time, and I think that it would be creepier (and easier to understand!) if there was just one. It was annoying because my mom kept leaning over and asking what they were saying. Just so I'm not completely shitting on this movie, I must say that I thought the ending was kind of neat. It wasn't really what I was expecting, so I'll give it that. Usually Katie Holmes kind of bugs me, but I actually kind of like her in this movie, and I thought that Bailee Madison was great. I swear I've never seen her in anything where she isn't crying. My rating: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment