Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Review: Fright Night


Normally I am really annoyed when I hear a classic horror film is being remade. This was not the case with Fright Night. While I loved the original one, I thought it would be neat to see a more updated version of the story. (If you've ever seen the original, then you know that it is REALLY 80s.) I was really excited to see this, and I had to wait forever to see it because it wasn't playing in my hometown. Now that I am back to school though, I can pretty much see whatever I want. So, anyways, I really enjoyed this movie! It is just a really fun movie to watch and I had a huge grin on my face during the whole movie. The cast is just perfect and Colin Farrell is a really sexy vampire. I do think that they go a little overboard with the white make-up on the vampires, but I'll forgive that. I'll even forgive the use of CGI (which looked not that great in some parts) because I liked this movie so much. This movie is a horror/ comedy like the original, so it isn't meant to really scare people, but it does have its moments to please horror fans like me. Plus, it does pay tribute to the original, like all good remakes should. For example, Amy's white dress at the ending and her wide mouthed vampire face. Plus, there is the cameo from Chris Sarandon!!! When I saw him, I was like "YES!!!"
This movie was actually better than I expected it to be, which is something that I find to be rare for me when I go see movies. I thought that it was interesting how they updated the Peter Vincent character. In the original he is sort of like the Peter Cushing type character in Hammer horror films, and in this one, he is a vampire expert magician. This could have been a horrible change, but I think that David Tennant was great as that character. I even liked Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Evil. The part where Anton Yelchin makes him cry actually made me really sad. I was bummed that he didn't have more screen time. He is just in the beginning and then towards the end. I've always liked Anton Yelchin, so I knew that he would be great as Charlie Brewster. As a bonus, I love it when movies have really cool end credits, and the ones at the end of this movie are awesome! My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment