Saturday, August 27, 2011

Spotlight On: Sam Raimi

This week's character of the week is one of my favorite horror directors. Sam Raimi is the director of the amazing Evil Dead trilogy, and that just makes him awesome in my book. I loved all three of them, as well as some other films that he has made. If I see a movie with Raimi's name attached to it, I just know that it is going to be really cool. Here are my favorites of his films.

The Evil Dead
No matter how many times I watch this movie, the scene where the girl gets raped by the tree always gets to me. You just see it whip its way in and every time I just go "aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!" It gives me the heebie jeebies. Yikes! Anyways, I love this movie and all of the Evil Dead movies because they have good amounts of gore as well as being wonderfully over the top.





Evil Dead II
I've actually gotten into arguments over this movie. People always try to say that this is a remake instead of a sequel, but god dammit it's a sequel! The only reason why the beginning is exactly the same as the first one is because they are recapping everything that happened. They wanted to show clips from the first movie, but they couldn't for some reason. Anyways, this movie shows the rare occasion when the sequel is actually better than the original.





Darkman
In Darkman, Liam Neeson plays a disfigured man who becomes a superhero! I saw this movie once, and I thought that it was pretty badass. If you're gonna have anyone play a masked hero, it has to be someone with a great speaking voice, and Liam Neeson definitely has that...



Army of Darkness
This movie definitely goes more the comedy route than the horror route. Regardless of this (or because of this?) this movie is still amazing. It's got Bruce Campbell kicking ass with his chainsaw hand, and a whole army of deadites. Love it!



Spider-Man
I REALLY didn't like the third Spider-Man movie, but I did like the first two. I still find myself quoting Bonesaw all the time. "You're going nowhere!" And...you can't beat that upside down kiss!!



Spider-Man 2
Another example of a good sequel. Although I do like the first one better, this one is really good too...



Drag Me To Hell
I absolutely love this movie! It is creepy, hilarious, terrifying, over the top, and disgusting, and was one of the greatest horror movies to come out in the past decade. I remember being very vocal the first time I saw this movie. I was watching it with a big group of friends and we were all laughing and screaming and yelling out in disgust. It was awesome! It has the greatest ending, and I love how baby-faced Alison Lohman gets her badass moment in the graveyard scene when she says "Goodbye!"





Upcoming: his next film is called Oz: The Great and Powerful and it looks really cool. It has the most awesome cast including James Franco, Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams, and Bruce Campbell. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment