Sunday, August 21, 2011

Just Finished Reading: The Lady of the Camellias

Such a sad story. I HAD to read this book when I found out that two of my favorite movies, Camille and Moulin Rouge were based on the same novel. Well technically, Moulin Rouge is based on La Traviata, which is based on the novel. I mean, I noticed that they were basically the same story, but on Moulin Rouge's Wiki page, it says La Traviata and not The Lady of the Camellias, and I had never heard of La Traviata before. Camille and Moulin Rouge are actually a lot closer to each other in plot than they are to this book. While there are a lot of similarities, there are even more differences. I still really liked this book, and it kind of made me wish that I was a 19th century stage actress, so that I could play Marguerite. There was one particularily sexy scene where she goes to Armand's house after he sends her a cruel letter and she ends up stripping off her clothes in front of him. Hot! It was even hotter because I really wasn't expecting it, especially in a novel as old as this one. What is really neat is that there were photos from different film adaptations and stage productions of this. So there were a few pictures of Greta Garbo and Robert Taylor, and even a photo of Colin Firth and Greta Scacchi. I haven't seen the latter pair's version yet, but now I'm really curious to. I saw it on sale at Barnes and Noble the last time I went shopping, and I knew I should have bought it! Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment