Friday, August 5, 2011

Spotlight On: Jack Nicholson

My mom's birthday was earlier this week, so that is why this week's spotlight is on her favorite actor Jack Nicholson. He is not only her favorite actor, but he is one of my favorites as well because every single performance he gives is just brilliant. I don't think that I have seen any film with Jack Nicholson that I haven't liked. I didn't want this post to be too long, but it is going to have to be because I really didn't want to cut out any of the films that I wanted to write about. Here are my favorite films of his...

Easy Rider
He isn't in Easy Rider for very long, but he definitely plays an important role and left a lasting impression. This was the film that first got Nicholson some serious attention as an actor. It was one of his first major films and it was also the film that got him his first Oscar nomination. He has tons of great moments in this movie, but my favorite part is when he gives his speech about freedom.



Five Easy Pieces
This isn't my favorite film of his, but it is definitely worth watching simply for the scene at the diner. All he wants is some toast!!! Love it!



Chinatown
I saw this movie once and it was a long time ago, so I don't really remember too much about it. I'll never forget seeing this part, though...



One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
This is the movie that won Nicholson his first Oscar, and is also one of my favorite movies. He plays a guy who goes to a mental institution so that he can get out of jail, but then finds out that it is not as easy as he thought it would be.




The Shining
Here Nicholson stars in another of my favorite films. He plays Jack Torrance, a man who starts going crazy when he watches over a hotel with his family. "Here's Johnny!"



Reds
Although I like both Diane Keaton and Warren Beatty, the scenes with Jack Nicholson are by far my favorites in this movie. My absolute favorite scene is when Keaton's character tells him that she got married.



Terms of Endearment
This is the movie that got Jack his second Oscar win. While this film is a little too sappy for my taste, I love Nicholson's performance as Garrett Breedlove.



Prizzi's Honor
I actually liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would. Nicholson plays a hitman who falls in love with a woman who is in the same line of work. I love him in this movie because he plays such a dumbass. My favorite part of this movie is probably the last scene.



The Witches of Eastwick
Such a great cast! I love all of the leads in this movie. It not only has Nicholson, but also Susan Sarandon, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Cher!!! He plays a Casanova type character who charms the three lovely ladies and helps them find their inner witches. I couldn't find a video I could embed of my favorite Jack moment in this movie, but you can watch it HERE

Batman

"Wait til they get a load of me!" Nicholson's performance of the Joker is classic! People like to compare it to Heath Ledger's performance, but I don't see the point. They were both brilliant, but their approaches were just different. I love both, so I don't have a favorite.



A Few Good Men
"You can't handle the truth!" I honestly don't think that I have ever seen this entire movie. The only times that I have seen it are when my mom watches it on TV, so I always just catch the ending. I've seen the ending courtroom scene a million times. Probably the best courtroom scene ever...



Wolf
I love werewolf movies and Jack Nicholson, so this is just a win-win for me.



As Good As It Gets
I love this movie. Nicholson plays won another Oscar for playing an asshole writer with OCD. I love the scenes with him and Helen Hunt, especially at the restaurant.



The Departed
More proof that Nicholson makes an excellent bad guy! I love the entire cast of this movie, and is one of my favorites from Scorsese. I just love the part where he says "don't laugh!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment