Thursday, June 2, 2011

All I Want is to Watch Wuthering Heights!!!

Earlier this year I watched the 1939 film adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel Wuthering Heights for the first time on TCM. I instantly fell in love with the movie, and have since read the novel as well as seen two other film versions. Even though there are several differences from the novel, including the fact that the film stops at chapter 17, the 1939 version is by far my favorite. Merle Oberon does a great job at showing how unlikable Cathy is, and I especially love Laurence Olivier's performance of Heathcliff. After seeing it, I couldn't get this movie out of my head, so I wanted to buy it on DVD so I can watch it whenever I want, and without having to watch it in sections on YouTube. Unfortunately, there is no Region 1 DVD of Wuthering Heights!!! I just don't understand why!! This film is on AFI's list of greatest Romance films, it came out in 1939, which is a big year for classic film fans. Why is this not on DVD? I've looked on eBay, but could only find Korean import DVDs of this film. I've even e-mailed the people at Criterion trying to get them to release it. It used to not be that big of a deal because I could still watch it online, but now the jackoffs at Paramount have pulled it from Youtube!! Now I can't watch it anywhere!!! I guess I'm just going to have to wait for it do come back on TCM, but according to their online schedule, its not going to be showing this month or next month.

Dear whoever owns the DVD rights to the 1939 version of Wuthering Heights,

Please release it on DVD.

Love,
Charisse

P.S. Please make it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment