Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Review: The Roommate

I went to this movie with no expectations for it to be good. I thought that it was going to be a cheesy, horrible rip off of Single White Female aimed towards a younger audience. (Sort of like Swimfan was to Fatal Attraction). While it basically is Single White Female, I actually enjoyed this movie and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It is definitely no groundbreaker in the horror genre, but is still a nice little thriller movie with a great performance by Leighton Meester as the psycho roommate Rebecca. The scene where Rebecca pushes Sarah's (Minka Kelly) earrings through her unpierced ears was actually quite chilling to me. It could just be because I don't have my ears pierced either, but it have me the heebie jeebies. If you have seen Single White Female, or basically any psycho bitch movie, nothing in this movie will be a big surprise. From Rebecca killing their pet cat, to attacking Sarah's skanky blonde friend in the shower, it is nothing new, but I think that Meester really pulls off the creepy smile and the blank stare. Her performance isn't exactly Oscar worthy, but perhaps MTV Movie Award for Best Villain worthy. The one thing that really bugged me in this movie was Minka Kelly. That girl just bothers me for some reason. Perhaps it is her overly sweet sounding voice, or that her smiles always looked fake. When she was in (500) Days of Summer, I couldn't believe that Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character would follow Zooey Deschanel with her. Anyways, while this movie wasn't amazing, it wasn't that bad and I would have no problem seeing it again when it comes out on DVD. My rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment