Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I HATE RECASTING!!!!

I don't know why, but it really bothers me when they recast parts for movie sequels. For characters like James Bond, Batman, or any other superhero type character like that it doesn't bother me because there are a billion movies like that and actors can't stay young forever. When I read that the part of Andromeda was recast in the Clash of the Titans sequel, Wrath of the Titans, that just bothered me! I have nothing against Rosamund Pike, who I liked in Pride and Prejudice and An Education, but I really wish that they would have kept Alexa Davalos. I was really disappointed that her role was so small in the first movie, and now I guess she will be a more important character, and they cast someone else in the part!

Alexa Davalos as Andromeda

Rosamund Pike
Also, Rosamund Pike is blonde, and Alexa Davalos has dark hair in the first movie! I know these probably doesn't seem like a huge detail, but are they going to have her dye her hair for the movie? What I find interesting is that love interest roles in sequels have been recast since forever. For example, in the 1931 movie Frankenstein, the role of Elizabeth was played by Mae Clarke, but was played by 17 year old Valerie Hobson in Bride of Frankenstein. 

Mae Clarke

Valerie Hobson
Do they do this because they don't think that the love interest character is really all that important and that people won't care? Another example of this is in Christopher Nolan's Batman movies. In Batman Begins, Rachel Dawes is played by Katie Holmes, and in The Dark Knight is played by Maggie Gyllenhaal.


Katie Holmes

Maggie Gyllenhaal

While I am not a big fan of Katie Holmes, I was annoyed with the recasting. It did not really matter in the long run, though, because people people didn't go see The Dark Knight for the love interest Rachel Dawes, they went to see it for Batman and the Joker. Just like people didn't go see the Frankenstein films for Elizabeth, they went to see them for Karloff as the monster. I guess love interest roles are just expendable. Just look at James Bond, he has a different girl for every movie he's in.

No comments:

Post a Comment