Friday, December 17, 2010

Spotlight On: Quentin Tarantino


For my first Spotlight feature, I have decided to write about one of my favorite directors, Quentin Tarantino. He has not done a single movie that I have not liked. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Vol 1&2, Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds are all movies that I love and have seen many times. The only movie of his that I have not seen is Jackie Brown. I personally can not choose a favorite of his films because I love them all so much. All of his movies have excellent dialogue, really cool and interesting story lines and characters, awesome gore effects, and really great music.



I have only seen two of his movies in the theater. The first was Kill Bill Vol 1. I was 13 years old when it came out, and I convinced my older sister to take me by telling her that it was like Charlie's Angels. Well Charlie's Angels it was not, which my sister soon found out. She actually wanted to leave in the middle, but I refused. In my 13 years of life, I had never seen a cooler movie. I loved the Nancy Sinatra song at the beginning, the anime sequence, how it went black and white for the fight sequence, the 5.6.7.8s, and the fact that the protagonist was a kick ass action heroine.

The second movie of his that I saw in theaters was his newest film Inglourious Basterds. I was beyond excited for this movie to come out. This movie was to me in 2009 what Sucker Punch is to me right now. And unlike other movies that I have gotten really excited for (Nightmare on Elm Street Remake, Alice in Wonderland) this one did not disappoint. I went by myself one day, when I was still living in Seattle. I love every second of this movie. The opening sequence is suspenseful and wonderfully written, Brad Pitt has some of the best dialogue I have ever heard, and I loved Melanie Laurent as Shoshanna. The scene of her and Hans Landa in the cafe is just frightening. Also, Col. Hans Landa is such a great character. He is a perfect example of a charasmatic villian. He is a Nazi murderer and yet I loved it every time he was on screen.

I am so excited for Kill Bill Vol. 3 to come out. It sucks that I have to wait four whole years, since it's not supposed to come out until 2014. Well, it's almost 2011, so it'll be more like three years I guess. Anyways, I will leave you with the scene that he directed in the movie Sin City, which is one of the best scenes in the whole movie. "Those hookers let you down!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment