Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Character of the Week: Carrie White

It was tradition in my family that every Halloween we would watch Carrie, one of the greatest horror films of all time, and to this day the only Stephen King book I have ever read. Carrie is one of those movies that will stick with me forever because I have seen it dozens of times since I was a little kid, and helped start my love for horror films. The heart of this movie is of course the title character Carrie White. A shy, introverted girl with an overly religious mother who gets picked on by the other girls in her class.

Just when things start to go right for her, and a popular guy asks her to the prom, she famously gets a bucket of pig's blood dumped on her when she wins prom queen. Upon seeing everyone laugh at her, including the gym teacher who was supposed to be her friend, she snaps and kills everyone at the prom using her telekinetic powers. While horror movies generally get snubbed by the Oscars, Sissy Spacek received a well-deserved nomination for Best Actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment