Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Just Finished Reading: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

I am a huge fan of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy. Having read and loved the first two books, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fired, I of course had to buy the third book, and it did not disappoint. It picks up where the second book left off, with Lisbeth Salander discovered injured by Blomkvist after being shot by her father and buried alive by her brother. She gets taken to the hospital, which is where she spends the majority of the book. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets nest is basically about Blomkvist proving Lisbeth's innocence and exposing the truth about her father, Zalachenko, and "The Section" which is a secret organization inside of Sapo, the Swedish secret police.
I mostly read this book when I had time in between classes, and I would get so into it that I would often get annoyed when I had to stop and go to class. Normally when books have a lot of characters I get confused and start to mix them up, but for this book it was different. There are tons of characters in this book, but I found it easy to remember who was who because I find them all very interesting. My favorite characters being (of course) Lisbeth Salander, and Erika Berger. Lisbeth is a great character not only because of her more interesting aspects (computer hacking, photographic memory), but because even though she is distrustful to everyone around her and has problems with human interaction, she has all of these people who stick their neck out and even put themselves in danger for her; Blomkvist being the main example of that. What is he getting out of it? Why do all of this for someone who for the longest time refused to see or speak to him? I mean, he said it himself, that he considered himself her friend but she didn't herself to be his friend.
I'm bummed that this is the last book in the Millenium Series.This book ended on a good note with Lisbeth and Mikael finally getting to talk face to face, but I really want to know what happens next. I guess I'll never know...
Anyways, now that I'm done with the books I'm curious to see if the movies are any good. I haven't seen any of the Swedish ones, though The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has been at the top of my Netflix queue for for-fuckin-ever. For some reason its still at "Long Wait." A lot of people were pissed that they're making American film versions of the books, but I think that they'll be pretty good. They'll be directed by David Fincher, who I really like, and they seem to have good casting so far (even though I don't really know about Rooney Mara as Salander, but as I said before I'm gonna wait til I see The Social Network to make any judgements on that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment