Thursday, September 16, 2010

Favorite Music Videos Based On Horror Films

Rob Zombie: Living Dead Girl

Rob Zombie usually incorporates things from horror films into both his songs and music videos, and this is my favorite of all of his videos. This video is based on the silent film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. If you have seen the film (which I have), then when you watch this video you can see right away what its supposed to be based on. As you can see in the photo from the 1922 silent film, the video even uses basically the same set design, which is the most recognizable thing from the movie in the music video.


30 Seconds To Mars: The Kill

This music video is based on the Stanley Kubrick film The Shining. I am not that big of a 30 Seconds to Mars fan, but I really like this video. The main reason is that I really love The Shining and I think that its a great film to give homage to, but I also love that it didn't use the most obvious parts of The Shining (guy with axe, kid on tricycle), and that it used parts like when the you see a man and a guy in a bear costume in a room together. (photo from The Shining shown). You see it only for a second in the movie, but its one of the weirder moments, and it neat to see it in the video.


Backstreet Boys: Everybody (Backstreet's Back)

I know that it's totally dorky that I have this video on here, but this was my favorite video when I was in elementary school. I was a Backstreet Boys girl all the way, and I hated NSYNC. Say what you will about their music, but I still think that this video is pretty cool. It pays homage to the classic Universal monsters The Wolf Man, Dracula, The Mummy, The Phantom of the Opera, and what I assume is supposed to be The Creature of the Black Lagoon. So, it has all of them except for Frankenstein's monster, Bride of Frankenstein, and The Invisible Man. Of course, you could argue that The Invisible Man is in this video but you just can't see him. My favorite is Brian as the Wolf Man. He looks awesome as a werewolf and it starts the song out really well. I always end up laughing during this video, though because of how 90s it is. The most 90s thing about this video is probably the fact that Howie is wearing Tommy Hilfiger overalls which i think is hilarious.



Michael Jackson: Thriller

Then, of course, there is Thriller. This is arguably the greatest music video of all time. No, not even arguably, its just straight up the best video ever. This vid was directed by John Landis who also directed An American Werewolf in London, which is one of the best werewolf movies in history. So, it of course starts out with a werewolf, and, as everyone in the entire world is familiar with, ends up with a bunch of dancing zombies. I don't think that its based on any zombie movie in particular, so we could say that its based on all zombie movies. What is really cool is that Vincent Price does the narration part in the song, and he is one of the greatest horror actors of all time. Hes been in such great films as House of Wax, House on Haunted Hill, The Tingler, and his last film appearance ever was in Edward Scissorhands as the inventor.

No comments:

Post a Comment