Friday, May 20, 2011

Spotlight On: Angelina Jolie

This weeks spotlight is on one of my favorite actresses, Angelina Jolie. She has done a variety of roles from playing supermodels, mental patients, tomb raiders, and determined mothers. She is also pretty much the only female action star, along with Milla Jovovich. I just love Angelina Jolie, and here are my favorite roles of hers.

Foxfire
In Foxfire, Angelina plays a girl named Legs, who helps a group of high schools go up against the bad men in their town. I've never actually seen this movie unedited because I've only seen it on Lifetime, but this was one of my favorite movies in junior high.



Gia
Angelina Jolie won a Golden Globe for playing Gia Carangi, the supermodel who died of AIDS. This was the film where she really started to prove her acting talents, and is one of her best performances.



The Bone Collector

In The Bone Collector, Angelina plays a cop who is working with a paraplegic cop played by Denzel Washington to try to catch a serial killer. I haven't seen this movie in forever, but this used to be one of my favorites in elementary school. I'm gonna have to rent this one so I can see it again...



Girl, Interrupted
Her performance as Lisa Rowe in Girl, Interrupted is, in my opinion, Angelina Jolie's greatest performance. She plays a sociopath who is a patient at a mental institute. She is a charismatic villain who you both like and hate at the same time. This is also the film that earned Jolie her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.



Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

In this film, Jolie plays one of the most badass film and video game heroines of all time, Ms. Lara Croft. While I have mixed feelings towards the second film, I've always liked the first one. Apparently they are going to reboot this franchise with a different Lara Croft, but I don't know why since no one is going to be better than Angelina...



Alexander
I did not care much for this movie. The only good parts were when Angelina Jolie was on screen playing Alexander's mother Olympias. She pretty much saved this movie from being a complete piece of shit...



Mr. and Mrs. Smith
In this movie, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt play a married couple who find out that they are both assassins. So...they have to try to kill each other. Has there ever been a better looking couple on screen?



Changeling
This is a movie that made me bawl my eyes out. I saw this in theaters and I had never cried so hard during a movie in my life. It is about a woman whose son gets kidnapped, and just when she thinks that they found him, they end up bring her the wrong kid. Since the policemen are a bunch of a-holes, they don't believe her and keep trying to convince her that it is her son that they brought back. This is the most recent film of the three that Jolie got Oscar nominations for, and it was well deserved. Personally I thought that she should have won.



Wanted

While I find the premise of this movie absolutely rediculous (threads...really?), I did think that it was a pretty entertaining action film. Jolie plays another assassin, this time one named Fox.



Salt
I wasn't really sure what to expect with this movie, but I ended up really liking it. Apparently the role was originally going to be a man, but they changed it when Jolie signed on.




I haven't seen The Tourist yet, but I just got it from Netflix, so I'll probably watch it tonight. It's got Jolie and Johnny Depp, so I'm sure that I will like it.

Upcoming: Angelina is going to be playing Cleopatra in the film Cleopatra (duh...), which should be coming out in 2013. She is also voicing Tigress again in Kung Fu Panda 2, which comes out pretty soon. She is also apparently playing Malefiscent in a film about the Sleeping Beauty villainess. THAT should be really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment