Sunday, May 29, 2011

2011: The Year of Natalie Portman?

This has been a good year for the beautiful and talented Natalie Portman. Not only did she win her first Oscar, but she also appeared in not one, but six new films that I saw this year, and it is only May. I have always enjoyed seeing movies with Portman, so it was really cool to see her in such a variety of roles in such a short timespan. Here I will rank her six films that I saw this year in order of how much I liked them.

1. Black Swan

Portman's portrayal of a mentally unbalanced ballerina is what won her the Oscar a few months ago. I really loved this film. I thought that it was brilliant and that she was brilliant in it. You can find my reviews of this film HERE and HERE.

2. Hesher

In this film they give Portman a bad perm and some old man glasses so that she can play a normal cashier with money problems. The first time you see her in this film she tries to tackle a boy who is picking on the main boy in the film. It is so funny because she is so tiny and has those rediculous glasses on. This movie was both funny and sad, and you can see my full review HERE.

3. Thor

In Thor, Natalie plays a scientist who falls in love with the title character. She first meets him when he gets hit by her van while her and her associates are out doing some science-related thing. I thought that this movie was really cool, and made me really excited for The Avengers. Full review HERE.

4. No Strings Attached

It was really interesting to see Portman in Black Swan, and then a romantic comedy a few weeks later. Here Natalie plays a busy doctor who decides to become friends with benefits with Ashton Kutcher so that she can get laid without attachments. So, of course they fall in love and things get complicated. This movie was surprisingly funny, and also pretty sweet. Full review HERE.

5. The Other Woman

This is the only film of the six that I didn't see in theatres. I actually just watched this last night because my sister got it from the Redbox. In this film, Natalie plays a woman who falls in love with a married man, and ends up stealing him from his wife and marrying him. She butts heads with both his son and his ex-wife and, sadly, also loses a baby. I liked this movie more than I thought I would, and it was really sad. Lisa Kudrow's character, who is the ex-wife, is such a BITCH in this movie!!! Portman gives another great performance, and the part near the end with Kudrow and Portman actually made me cry a little...

6. Your Highness

This was actually the only film Portman was in this year that I didn't really care for. It had its funny parts, but mostly I thought that it was kinda stupid. Portman plays a warrior woman set on getting revenge against the man who murdered her entire family. Full review HERE.

According to IMDB, she doesn't have any upcoming projects just yet. That makes sense though, since her eggo is prego at the moment, but we should see plenty more great performances from Ms. Portman in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment