Monday, May 23, 2011

Just Finished Reading: Emma

I can't believe that I went 21 years of my life without having read a Jane Austen book. I've seen the film version of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley, I've seen Jane Austen's book club, and I've seen Clueless, which is based on Emma, but this was the very first Austen book that I have sat down and read. It was hard to choose between starting with this and Pride and Prejudice, but I chose Emma because I was not as familiar with the story as I was with the other one. I actually got the BBC version of Emma with Romola Garai on Saturday from Netflix, but I haven't watched it yet because I wanted to finish reading this first. I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I was really getting annoyed with Harriet, but overall I really liked it. I was surprised at how much of the plot was in Clueless. Even things like Harriet (Tai in Clueless) burning things that reminded her of Mr. Elton, and Mr. Knightley (Josh) asking Harriet to dance. It is awesome because I was just watching Clueless on TV the other night. I think that Emma was a great choice for my first Austen, and I intend on reading them all in the future. I already have Pride and Prejudice, so that'll be the next Austen that I read.

No comments:

Post a Comment