Friday, March 25, 2011

Spotlight On: Guillermo del Toro

This week's spotlight is on one of my favorite directors, Guillermo del Toro. I have only seen five of his movies, but I loved all of them. All of his movies have such great visual style, and all have really beautiful elements to them. They are all really unique and interesting to watch, and just keep getting better and better with more views. Also, I really love listening to him talk. He has the best voice, and I love hearing him talk about film, whether they be his films or other films. Anyways, here are the films of his that I have seen and that everyone else should see too.

Cronos

Cronos has to be one of the most interesting vampire films I have ever seen. It is about a little bug-like device that turns this old man into a vampire. You see a lot of bugs and machinery in Guillermo del Toro's movies, and this is a perfect example of that. When I first saw this movie, I had no idea what it was about, so I was really surprised when it turned out to be a vampire story. I think that that is what makes the story so interesting. The vampire element is more subtle and not so in your face like most vampire films. This film makes me really curious to read Guillermo del Toro's vampire books. I have the first one in the series, but I haven't read it yet and look forward to reading it soon. If they are anything like this story, they should be amazing.


The Devil's Backbone
This is one of my favorite ghost stories. It takes place at an orphanage in Spain, and is both chilling and quite beautiful at the same time. I love the look of the little ghost boy and how, since he drowned, he looks like he is in water the whole time, with blood flowing upward from his body. I've always been a huge fan of ghost stories, and i think that this is one of the best ones that I have seen.




Here is a video from Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments...there a cool part about The Wolfman, which is another of my favorite films, but at around 10:45 in the video they talk about The Devil's Backbone.



Hellboy
 I remember when I first saw the trailer for this movie I just went "WOW!" I wasn't  familiar with the Hellboy comics, so I had never heard of this character before, but the combination of the awesome visuals and John Hurt's great voice in the trailer just made me instantly want to see it. I believe that this was the first Guillermo del Toro movie I have ever seen and it is one of my favorite superhero movies.



Pan's Labyrinth
Being more of a sci fi girl, I have never been a huge fan of fantasy films. But when it is a Guillermo del Toro fantasy film, like Pan's Labyrinth or the Hellboy series, you know that it isn't cheesy or rediculous, but is beautiful and awe-inspiring. The first time I saw this movie I was just amazed by everything I was seeing. It combines this rather violent war-time storyline with this fantastical fairy tale story line and it is just an amazing film. My favorite part is probably the part with the Pale Man.



Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Most superhero sequels are pretty shitty, or at least not nearly as good as the originals, but for Hellboy II, this is not the cast at all. I love this film! I dare say that it is even slightly better than the original. My only complaint is that John Hurt died in the first one, so he is only in this one for the very beginning. This films has a great storyline, and fucking amazing creatures. Every single creature in this movie is cool as hell!



Also, I'm a big fan of Family Guy, so I was really happy when I found out that Seth McFarlane does the voice of Johann Krauss.



Future Projects: Okay, so stupid dumb ass Universal dropped out of financing his film At the Mountains of Madness because he wanted to make it an R-rated film. Hopefully, he'll find someone else to finance it, because it has been way too long since del Toro has had a movie come out. I mean, Hellboy 2 was three years ago!!! Anyways, he is also supposed to be directing a new adaptation of Frankenstein, with Doug Jones playing the creature. I have know idea when that is supposed to be coming out, or if it is even being made anymore, but this is a film that I would really love to see get made. So PLEASE Mr. del Toro, pick a project and start already!!!!

And just because I love listening to him speak, here is a really cool video I found of him listing his favorite ghost stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment