Saturday, March 5, 2011

Just Finished Reading: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

This book was a lot different than what I expected it to be. Most people are probably familiar with the story, with mild mannered Dr. Jekyll turning into the murderous Mr. Hyde, but the story is different than how movie adaptions portray it. The story isn't even in Jekyll/ Hyde's perspective until the very last chapter. If I had known nothing of this story, I wouldn't have even known that they were the same person until the very end. I expected it to be a first person narrative from Jekyll because that is how the movies have been, but as I said it is mostly from other people's point of view. Having said that, I still really liked this story. I think that it is very interesting in how it discusses duality and things like that. It was also a very easy read because it is so short. For some reason I was expecting a long novel, but there are only a handful of relatively short chapters. I'm not really a fan of Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island is BORE), but I really enjoyed Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment