Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Review: A Dangerous Method

Is is possible for Michael Fassbender to do a bad movie? I really don't think so. I don't know if he just chooses excellent movies or if movies instantly get better with his presence. And what a presence it is. Even looking very old fashioned with his mustache, glasses, and attire, he still manages to be unbelievably sexy. Every time he flashed that Fassbender smile in this movie I couldn't help but smile myself. Oh right... A Dangerous Method. I have to admit that I am totally biased in favor of this film. Not only does it have a cast that I really love, but it is directed by one of my favorite directors, David Cronenberg. Having said that, I did really like this movie. I thought that it was sexy and interesting and was made even better by the fact that I had to read a lot of Freud for my Sexuality and Culture class last semester. Fassbender was great as always, and even though he was smoldering, he probably had the least interesting role. I really loved Viggo Mortensen as Freud. He was the only person who managed to bring some humor into the film and really gave an effortless performance. I understand why Cronenberg likes to work with him so much. I thought that Keira Knightley went a bit over the top playing the crazier Sabina in the beginning of the film, but she was much better as the recovering psychology student version of Sabina. The scenes with Fassbender and Knightley are VERY sexy, including (or especially) the scenes where he's not spanking her. I was bummed that Vincent Cassell's role was pretty small. I loved the scenes with him and Fassbender, where he helps Carl Jung develop the courage to start his affair with Sabina. My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment