Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Review: Paul

I was originally going to see Insidious today, but I decided to go see Paul instead because it was its last day in the theater I go to. I am really glad that I did because I really enjoyed this movie. I loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, so figured this one would be good too and I was right. Paul is about two nerds who, after going to Comic Con, decide to take a road trip to all the UFO-related sights in the US. Along the way they meet Paul, and alien who is voiced by Seth Rogan. Paul is on the run from the government because they want to cut out his brain, and he needs Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to help him get back home. This movie has a great cast along with Pegg, Frost, and Rogan that includes Kristen Wiig, Sigourney Weaver, Jason Bateman, Bill Hader, and Blythe Danner. This movie is also hilarious! It has references to several sci fi classics like Star Wars ("boring conversation anyway..."), Aliens ("get away from her you bitch!"), E.T., Predator, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and The X-Files. Even if you're not a big sci fi fan, I still think that you will find this movie hilarious. There were only two other people in the theater besides me, and we were all laughing our asses off. While it is a little strange to hear Seth Rogan's deep voice coming out of that little alien, I think that Rogan does a great job with his voice work. Pegg, Frost, and Wiig are always really funny, and Weaver, Bateman, and Hader are also great as the antagonistic government agents.   
One thing that I thought was really cool in this movie was that it has some Daniel Clowes references. As you can see in the poster, Simon Pegg wears an Eightball t-shirt for a good portion of the film. Also, you see this comic book a few times in the film called Encounter Briefs. I've never heard of it before, but I recognized that it was Clowes' style of drawing. I guess it is a fictional series that Clowes made especially for the film to be used as a prop.
My rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment