Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Review: Jane Eyre

What perfect casting! I thought that every actor in this film was absolutely perfect in their roles. I just read this book around three months ago, and I loved it so I was really excited to see this film. So excited, in fact, that I took a bus up to Uptown to see it at a theatre I've never been to because it wasn't showing at the theatre I normally go to. Unlike Sucker Punch, the other movie that I was super excited to see, Jane Eyre did not disappoint. As I said before, it had perfect casting, especially Mia Wasikowska as the title character and Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester. What was interesting about this film was that several scenes were filmed as if it were a horror film. The novel was more about surprise than suspense, but I thought that there were parts of the film that were quite suspenseful. The film also does something that a lot of book to film adaptations do, and thats to rearrange the order a little bit. Instead of going chronologically like that book does, it starts out with her running away and entering the Rivers' house, and shows everything else as sort of a flashback.
I must be getting sappy in my old age of 20 (almost 21) because I never used to cry during romance films. The part where Mr. Rochester proposed to Jane turned on the water works for me. Having read the book, I knew what was going to happen, but both Wasikowska and Fassbender were so great in that scene that I just started tearing up. Also, Michael Fassbender is so sexy in this movie! I know that Mr. Rochester is supposed to be unattractive, but I really don't care!  Every time that he was on screen I was just like "wooooooooow!" It makes me really excited to see him as Magneto...
If I had to pick something wrong with this movie it would have to be that I thought the ending was rather sudden, almost like they were trying to end it in a hurry. They don't explain what happened in the fire that much, so if you haven't read the book it will really seem like an abrupt ending. My rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment