Saturday, July 9, 2011

Just Finished Reading: The Haunting of Hill House

I started reading this because I am a fan of Shirley Jackson. I love love loved her book We Have Always Lived in the Castle. As I started reading this one, I realized that I recognized the story. This book was made into two movies that I've seen, one from the 60s and one from the 90s, both called The Haunting. I just thought that was really cool because the 90s version of The Haunting scared the shit out of me when I was a little kid. It was always the ghost stories that got to me. I remember that the teaser trailer scared the shit out of me. It was one of the previews that they had on a VHS we owned, and I used to always have to fast forward through it whenever it was on. Looking back at it, it's really not that scary, but when I was 9 it used to give me nightmares.



The Haunting of Hill House is a really interesting ghost story, because the characters never actually see any ghosts. They pretty much only hear noises, but that is what makes it so freaky. I always hear shit when I am alone in a house, so I always have to have the TV on, or have music playing or else I start to freak myself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment