Thursday, November 11, 2010

Favorite Songs From Movie Musicals

Here is my list of my top ten songs from movie musicals. I limited it to one song per movie or else this list would be filled with songs from Grease and Rocky Horror Picture Show. I haven't seen too many older musicals, so this list is mostly contemporary musicals.

10. A Little Help From My Friends (Across the Universe)
Even though I can't stand Evan Rachel Wood's speaking voice, I really liked Across the Universe, and this is my favorite song from that movie. Not because its my favorite Beatles song (which its not), but because it is the most fun song in the movie and is one that I love singing along to.



9. Be Italian (Nine)
Overall, I didn't think that this movie was too great. A bunch of the songs were pretty boring in my opinion, and there were only two songs in the movie that I really liked. I really liked Kate Hudson's song Cinema Italiano, but I LOVED the song Be Italian sung by Fergie. It shows that Fergie really does have a great voice, and without a doubt the best song in the whole movie even though Fergie's role is pretty small. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have any lines in this whole movie except for this song.



8. Seasons of Love (Rent)
I'm pretty sure I've seen this movie only once, but I've watched this video on Youtube over a dozen times. I love singing along with this song and makes me wish I had a larger vocal range (of which mine is pretty miniscule).



7. Hard Knock Life (Annie)
I've probably seen this movie over a hundred times. I watched this movie all the time when I was a kid and this was always my favorite song.



6. Come What May (Moulin Rouge)
Choosing one song from this movie turned out to be really hard. I really love Elephant Love Medley and Roxanne, but I had to go with Come What May, because it is such a beautiful song. This movie is really sad, but this song alone is enough to make me cry. Ewan McGregor has such a great voice...



5. Little Priest (Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street)
I was originally going to go with Worst Pies in London, but I actually like this one a little bit better because I'm kind of a sucker for duets. Plus, its a song about putting people into meat pies and eating them, what could be better than that?



4. Phantom of the Opera (Phantom of the Opera)
I honestly wan't a big fan of this movie, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song! While Gerard Butler's voice is okay, Emmy Rossum's voice is amazing, and she made a wonderful Christine. Also, this part of the movie just looked really gorgeous, and was beautifully shot.



3. Cell Block Tango (Chicago)
Hands down the best song from the movie Chicago. This movie came out when I was in junior high, and I completely adored this movie and this song. I don't think that its possible for someone to hear this song and not want to sing it, which is interesting because a majority of this song isn't singing at all, but monologuing by each of the "six merry murderesses."



2. Time Warp (Rocky Horror Picture Show)
This was also a movie where it was hard to choose one song. I mean this movie is filled with great songs like Science Fiction Double Feature, Sweet Transvestite, and Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me, but I ended up choosing the fantastic Time Warp. The dance for this song is very simple, but thats probably what makes it so great. I guess on Halloween the world record for most people doing the Time Warp was broken, which is really cool. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a good video for this song on Youtube anymore, but here's the song...



1. You're the One That I Want (Grease)
Then, of course, there is Grease. A movie that I have watched since, like, birth and still love to this day. It is no longer possible for me to hear the words "tell me about it" without immediately saying "stud" and then breaking out into song. "I've got chiiiiiiills, they're multiplying, and I'm loooooosing contro-ol...All the power you're supplying, its ELECTRIFYING!!!" A few months ago when I was driving home from somewhere with my mom this song came on the radio, and we both got so excited and just started belting it out. There was not a doubt in my mind that I would put this song as number one on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment