Monday, December 12, 2011

Spotlight On: Cate Blanchett

This spotlight is on the lovely and talented Cate Blanchett. I have been a huge fan of hers since I was around 12 and I saw Charlotte Gray on television. Since then I have pretty much loved her in everything that I have seen her in. Here are my favorite films of hers (the Elizabeth movies are not included because I have not seen them...)

Charlotte Gray
This is kind of a weird movie for a 6th grader to love, but I watched it every single time it was on TV. Blanchett plays a Scottish woman who goes undercover in France to help fight the Nazis.



Lord of the Rings
Who else could they have possibly cast to play the beautiful elf Galadriel? Blanchett is perfect in this role! One of my favorite scenes in the entire series is when she is giving her gifts to the fellowship. I just love how Gimli (a total elf hater) ends up completely taken with her beauty. You can find that link at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRGB1kmTyFc&feature=related

The Aviator
Here Blanchett won an Oscar for playing legendary movie star Katharine Hepburn. Bringing Up Baby and The Philadephia Story are some of my favorite movies, so I'm a big fan of Hepburn, and I think that Blanchett did a great job with her voice, and she definitely has her cheekbones.



Notes on a Scandal
Here Blanchett plays a high school art teacher who has an affair with one of her students. It is pretty creepy because he is so young! I think he is supposed to be 15, but he looks around 12. Blachett's best part in this movie is definitely when she is yelling at Judi Dench's character. It is a very intense scene, and Blanchett pull it off marvelously.



I'm Not There
I didn't really care for this movie as a whole, but it is worth watching to see Cate Blanchett's version of Bob Dylan.



The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
In this film, Blanchett plays a ballerina who falls in love with a man who ages backwards. It is really quite sad how few years they get together, considering that he was an old when she was child, and that while she starts getting wrinkles, all of his go away.



Upcoming: we get to see Blanchett plays Galadriel in The Hobbit Part 1 and 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment